Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rodeo Time!!!

YEE HAW! Its rodeo time in the city of Houston, TX. I know you ask, how the heck would we know this one? Well I have heard all the buzz about the big rodeo in Houston, and I wanted to know more about it. My son and his lovely wife live there and have told me about it, but of course I had to see it for myself. Last week I went out to Houston and one night we got tickets to the Rodeo. It was like an oversized state fair like we have in North Carolina, but like they say EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas. Let me assure you that the Rodeo is not one of those small events.
It actually runs for 3 weeks day and night and it is big. They have the standard arena with the showing of horses, bulls, pigs, sheep , cows and the like. They also have an incubator that has live cameras showing chicks hatching from eggs, pigs giving birth and even a cow. Then the booths with everything Texas or having to do with rodeo's and cowboys in sight. Then the food..... no you can't miss the food. Get a good dose of cholesterol with your choices. I stayed safe with a big baked potato that is stuffed with bbq. My son had the "heart attack waiting to happen" on a stick with a roll. But the most unusual was the "Chicken Fried Bacon" that he made me test. At best bacon just is bacon but with the breading of chicken on the out side made this delicacy unforgettable. We also had to have the Funnel Cakes to top off our intake of Grease!! Over all tho it was good and we had a great time.
The next area was a huge carnival. You name it they had it. The one that was so amazing was they had the cable cars overhead. Now if you really think about it, these cable cars are going over your head and they were just installed for the 3 week Rodeo? So, how really safe are these things and should I be walking under them? Yes, I did think of that. Its kind of like the Bungee jumping that they were doing. Did you see the guy who is in charge of your safety as you are getting that harness on your body? Enough said then!
The arena was big too, like I said we are in TEXAS. They had about 2 hours of bronco busting, Mutton bustin, bareback riding and bull riding. The one I enjoyed was the roping. Two guys on horses one ropes the little steer and the other lasso's his feet to take him down and all in less than 4.6 seconds!!! Pretty interesting. My most favorite moment was when one of the Rodeo clowns (they really must be stupid to be that) got picked up by a steer and hurled into the air.
The steer had sufficiently dumped his rider and then when the rodeo clown jumped in front of him to keep him from attacking the rider the steer picked him up with his horn and hurled him! It was on camera so it was pretty funny.
After the rodeo events we saw Lady Antebellum in concert. It was a wonderful time and even better spending time with my son and his wife. I have already decided we will go again next year. I'm planning on getting me a big sequined hat to go with my outfit then!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yee haw? Jaye will be upset when she reads that, LOL! Glad you had a good time. And for the record, funnel cakes are from the PA Dutch country. But they're good in ANY state! C

    ReplyDelete