Sunday, June 28, 2009

Travelling

I was thinking today that it had been a few days since my last post and what was going on that others would want to read about here in Emerald Isle, NC. Well, the summer has started here on the island. It takes longer to get anywhere on Emerald Drive. I have learned that it is smart to go everywhere you need to before you get on the island or it will take twice as long to get there. A good sign is that it takes more than one turn of the traffic light to get down the street to the water spewing from the top of the Watter Boggin, a favorite on a hot summer day. The Waterboggin has been on the island for a very long time. My daughter worked there the summer of her 11th grade year. At that time the owner was going to sell the property and get out of the waterboggin business. Thank goodness he didn't as of yet. The visitors and locals alike love to go and its a fun place for both kids and adults alike on a hot summer day.
Anyway.... it has been a busy week with the occasional birthday party added in! Like I said before we have so many this month that we finished them up today. We leave on Tuesday early morning for our vacation to Hawaii. This has been planned since before my husband and I got married. Actually we were going to get married in Hawaii, but the first time I went to California, I said it was too far so we opted to marry locally. This November we celebrate our 5th anniversary so we are bundling this in with our anniversary. I was looking on the US Airways website for details about baggage and such. Well it seems that the bags we have are too big and probably after we get them packed they will be too heavy. How can you go somewhere for over a week and not take more than 40 lbs with you? The bag weighs like 5 by itself and then the contents can't weigh more than 35? This constitutes an additional expense to the traveller to the tune of $15.00 for the first bag and then an additional $25.00 for the next one and so forth. So,I guess if we took stock in UPS we could just ship our stuff there hoping it will arrive within the time we are there, maybe it would be cheaper than asking those folks at the airport to move it from one plane to another. I have started to pack a carry on and a big pocketbook or bag as my personal item. Remember tho that you cannot put any liquid in it that is more than 4oz and that includes a used tube of toothpaste that may have.05 oz in it. Yes, we had to throw away a tube of toothpaste that had a little in it even tho the tube said 7oz.
Great thing is that we applied for US Airways credit cards so we could get some benefits towards our travel and my husband uses his faithfully for all of his purchases, so he can get his points. We looked to see if we could upgrade to first class and they want you to use 30,000 points for one person one way to upgrade. Be real......
So, thus begins the brunt of my frustration. I will faithfully pack my bags within my limits and weigh it on the scale before I leave. Usually I am dead on the money so I hope that those shorts and tank tops will be light. I will promise not to buy too much for souvenirs before the weight limit changes and that I won't rip the head off of the attendant that is checking me in when she tells me how much more I need to pay. I will be sure to give you an update as to how expensive checking bags will be. On the website it now states that it will cost you more to take a bag on a plane if you don't pay for it on line before you leave. Yes, its true, after 7-9-09 you are to pay for your extra bags on line or they charge you $5.00 more at the airport. Just think about the number of people who will never go to the website and will have to pay that fee at the airport. I thought the oil companies were bad!!!How bout Granny who doesn't even know what a computer is and she is going to visit a family member. Cha Ching..... Granny it now costs you more to go visit if you take a suitcase. Wonder if I could just put a bunch of layers on my body and then once thru the check in, buy a bag in the little airport store and carry it on. Hey, there's a way to get around it!
Enough venting for now, hopefully it will be relaxing in Hawaii and everyone enjoy the Independance Day holiday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment