Monday, February 14, 2011

Trip out west......



Have you ever taken a trip out west? I mean to the western side of the United States? Well, I did and its not fun. I guess if I am going to be on a plane for 5 hours without stopping that I would like to get out and see water, palm trees and someone greeting me with a fruity drink with an umbrella. That would be the Bahamas or Jamaica or maybe even Mexico.
We went to Las Vegas, the better known is "Sin City". If you haven't been there don't be amazed to find out but its really a lot nicer than any place you have been, unless maybe you have been to Dubai or somewhere like that.
What amazes me is that there is so much money being spent in one several mile strip of land. We stay at Ceasars Palace and we like that hotel. I had a great room with views overlooking the strip and the Ballagio Water Fountain display. Even if you haven't been to Las Vegas most have seen the fountains on shows. It was nice except when I went to sleep at night they still did the fountain show and even on the 38th floor you could hear the booms of the water flowing!
Speaking of money I heard that they now have some hotels owned by some of the people from Dubai so that may mean more changes in the strip in the future. I have never seen so many Prada, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Coach, BEBE, and other high end stores in every hotel. Its totally amazing because the stuff is so expensive in those hotel shops.
We learned a long time ago to take some money to just "gamble" with, but don't plan on bringing any home. We were doing pretty well, until Saturday we were up (using their money). But by 10 pm on Saturday night we successfully gave it all back to them and got ready to come home. My hubby likes the "Wheel of Fortune" and did quite well on the machines hitting several $1000. hits on the wheel. Well, I would have "cashed out" and gone to the mall, but no he was determined to give it back one way or another!
He was up one time at about $2500.00, but successfully gave it to them in several spins!!!
It is fun but basically we played with their money most of the week.
We saw some great shows, like "The Blue Man Group", Terry Fator (a ventriloquist who won America's got Talent) and Elvis Cirque De Solei. The biggest highlight (NOT) was seeing Englebert Humperdinck. Most of you may say who the heck is he?? He was popular back in the 70's and it was obvious when all the "grey haired" old ladies came running up to the stage at the end of his show. I remember him, but not impressed with all the hype!! He is a good singer but not my favorite!!! Most of you remember your mom watching him. We did go see Holly Madison's "Peep Show"(Hugh Hefners old girlfriend who was on his show) and what they peeped and showed me about Holly is that she needs to lose her "paunch" of a belly before she removes that corset the next time!!! :)
Overall we had a good time.
Some things I don't think I will forget about this trip....

Seeing Teresa and Jania Tibbs, my friend who lived in Havelock and has moved to Vegas about 10 years ago, her new baby is darling and T is still the same old friend.

Watching some idiot pay money to skydive 988 feet down to the bottom of the Stratosphere Hotel.

Spending cab money to go to "Gold and Silver Pawn" the pawnshop featured on Pawn Stars. NO we didn't see Chumlee!

The first time I didn't go to bed at 8 pm when in Vegas the first night to make up for the time difference.

The trip to Red Rock Canyon and the Burrow that came up to our bus looking for us to feed him.

The best part of the trip was the chance to spend the week with my husband and to have each other's attention exclusively! I like that very much as well as the two Creme Brulee's we had together.

Vegas has a lot to offer to anyone, even if you don't like to gamble. Of course you can even do the penny slots and think you are winning a bundle. Its just fun to do something like this every once in awhile for a change of pace. I really was ready to get home and sleep in my own bed, even if it meant coming back to colder weather.
I'm happy to get home and have the comforts of my own home, but I did enjoy that maid who stopped by and cleaned things up for us each morning!!!

Have a wonderful Valentines Day, I wish each and ever one of you love and happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I've never really gambled in Vegas, but I've never been there for more than two nights at a time before either. I think I played two different slot machines (one time each) in the course of four trips to Vegas. I think my favorite thing was just seeing each of the hotels. Walking around watching people and taking pictures. I don't have the desire to gamble and you're right...it's a long trip for a sightseeing trip. Only from here...it's nearly two hours to Chicago and then nearly four more to Vegas. I doubt if we'll ever go there again...too long for too little return! I'm glad you had a great time though-that's what's important! C

    ReplyDelete