Friday, January 28, 2011

Pelicans




This morning as I was getting ready for work, I kept noticing the big ripples in the water outside my bathroom window. Now keep in mind I see lots of things out of this window so I thought what could be making the water move so much? I continued to look seeing some small mallard ducks with little ducklings floating around. It was like they were having swimming lessons out there. Occasionally I do see a Blue Heron or a White Heron all tucked up on the shoreline but today it was neither of them. It was a flock of Pelicans.
Now keep in mind we live on a creek that actually kind of winds around behind the house and this is on the side, so I see these Pelicans diving at the water. I started walking to the bedroom window to get a better view and suddenly I saw a bunch of them. I counted 10 at first and then when they were all floating on the water , I counted 17 in all. It was quite a show as they dove at fish and swam and then they would take off and do it all again. It lasted about 10 minutes in all and it was pretty cool. I took a few pictures to give you a bit of an idea but I did get some really good ones that I will post on my facebook page. It was just something you don't see everyday.
It appears to be a secluded area that they come to but it was quite a show for us. My husband got some really good close up pictures on his camera with the big lense. I will get them on line for you to see, Its unique living on the water you never know what it going to happen next . If I can get some pictures of them in a flock I will get them but to see so many of these large birds in one place having a playtime on the water was pretty neat.
Who knows maybe the White Herons or a pod of Dolphin will show up next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment