Friday, January 21, 2011

SNOW???

Snow its been in the news a lot lately.....Snow in eastern NC is like really rare, at least until this winter. Usually if we see snow or anything that looks like snow it is in the late part of Winter. That in this area is sometime in late January early February. Last year it was Valentines Day weekend we got 7 inches of snow. Remember that? It was very rare, we had fun playing, taking pictures and then the next day or so it was gone.
Yes, fortunately when the white stuff arrives in the south, it usually stays for less than 48 hours. We run out make snowmen, play in it and then by the next morning its all melted and gone. Yes, its nice but only for a short time.
Well the day after Christmas this past year it started snowing and we got about 5 inches of the white fluffy stuff. It was pretty and it made for a pretty weekend of Christmas. Then again last week it came again, in big flakes.... it did it most of the day and again by the next afternoon it was gone for the most part. In some of the more shaded areas it took until earlier this week when it rained to finally get rid of it all.
I hate to say this but I LOVE the SNOW. Now you my friends in the North are saying under your breath, "what kind of idiot is she???" or "Move back up here and you won't say that!" Yes, I really think it is the fact that when it arrives it does its thing and then its like "POOF" its gone again. Really doesn't make it too inconvienient for us and we go on.
Then I think back to when I lived in the North and was in school. We prayed for "Snow Days" back then. We rode the bus to school and of course they would cancel or make it a delay because so many kids rode the bus back then. Then there are the memories of the snowball fights with my brothers and sisters. When we were in high school we used to go the Winding Hill out by the little church that sits at the top of the hill. One night we went there with a bunch of kids and we had 24 people on one toboggan! Yes, it was a strain on that toboggan. It was a super steep hill so we put all of us on it and off we went, over the hill we went and it actually "caught air" one time. Then it happened, crack, snap and "oh no" the toboggan snapped in half when we hit! Every one of the 24 people on that toboggan went flying in many directions, laughing as hard as we could at the thought that we could actually make it to the bottom with all those people on it!!! I remember it like it was yesterday. When I was home in PA in October I drove up Winding HIll road to see if the toboggan hill was there, yes, it is but now its filled with many homes and no more space for sledding. Just goes to show you that things always change!
Sorry for that little side note. But back to my subject, tomorrow the weather forcast is back to SNOW again. It is supposed to be incredibly cold tomorrow and they are calling for precipitation. They said that the only area that is to get snow is the immediate coast, well that means US!!! Yes, I secretly say to myself, because I can sit and watch it like a child and remember the times I had and the fun we had back in PA and how much I like the snow.
I'll let you know it it comes or not, but if not they are calling for it again next Wednesday..... so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed, maybe we will be lucky to see it again before the spring sets in.
Yes, I love the warm weather, but I always say if its gonna be cold like this, it might as well SNOW!!!

4 comments:

  1. I love the snow too Sandy..just wish it would only snow on my days off..lol. I open all the blinds in the house so I can see the beautiful flakes coming down. I feel like Im inside of a snow globe. Loved the blog! :)AmyLu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always KNEW you loved it too. The same reasons I do...it doesn't stay here as long as it does up north, it's beautiful and we all feel 10 againe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if our snow melted quickly I'd like it more. We had less than two inches night before last and today the high is 19. Nothing will melt, even in the sun. It's bitterly cold and there's dirty snow everywhere. I am SO ready for spring!! I remember how much fun you guys had as kids...I remember sledding a few times in high school but not much as a kid. Guess we didn't live near any hills, other than the one we lived on for a few years-but we didn't get much snow then, as I remember. Enjoy your snow. If I could find a way to box it up and send it south, I would!! C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy remember the night you and I stood up on the sled and went down the driveway? Them BOOM! it happened. We hit a bump and both of us fell forward. Only problem was was I fell on you and you broke your hand. We went inside and I cried real good because we always made you cry and got in trouble for it. Needless to say you were screaming and I thought "Shoot I'm gonna get beat!" The tears worked and mom felt sorry for me. You ended up in the emergency room but hey! Ya got over it... and yes I remember all those walks to Winding Hill. Man we had a blast!!!!

    ReplyDelete